Drive through any neighborhood in Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach, or Daytona Beach, and you will find a lot of people throwing away a lot of furniture and stuff. Drive through on garbage day in a neighborhood like Waters Edge or Sanctuary, and you may just find enough at the curb to furnish a small apartment! Seriously though, when all that stuff gets put out at the curb it usually goes to the local landfill. In this economy, a local family may need what you are throwing away. Consider other options before the Volusia County landfill.
EVery little bit of trash matters. Here are a few options to relieve the local landfill of items that may have use in a second home.
- Pack it up and drop it off at an area thrift store. They are always happy to take donations.
- Take a picture of it and run an ad on Craigslist giving it away.
- Set it in your driveway with a “free” sign on it.
- Call Amvets, a charity, who will come pick the stuff up from your house.
- Save it up and have a garage sale, or set up a table in a friend or family garage sale.
Remember, A local family or resident may need items from your home that you are considering throwing in the garbage.