Our leaders in the Florida House and Senate continue to look for the perfect "band-aid fix" for our property taxes. The Florida Property Tax problem is more like a "deadly cut" and not a minor bruise. It will take much more than a band-aid to fix the current inequities in the Florida Property Tax system. Homeowners in Daytona Beach, Port Orange, and throughout Central Florida are affected.
The most recent proposal includes:
- Doubling of homestead exemptions - The lawmakes want to add another $25,000 homestead exemption. Does not apply to school taxes. BIG DEAL!! This doesn't fix the problem!
- Low-Income Senior Exemption - Are you 65 or older? You may not have to pay taxes if this new plan is voted in. Is this Fair?
- First time homebuyers exemption - Another 25% exemption. It's beginning to look like these lawmakes are trying to make this tax plan confusing!! We do not need more exemptions!
- Portability For Homesteaded Property Owners - This continues the problem and does not fix the current inquities with our property tax system. Basically, lawmakes want to transfer this problem into the future and not fix it.. This is not fair!
- Affordable Housing Assessments - Affordable housing will be assessed at at a lesser value. Is this fair?.
- Tangible Personal Property Exemptions up to $25,000.
- Millage Rate Restrictions - Government revenues are limited.
- Presumption Of Correctness - Deals with property appreciation and increases in taxes for a property.
- Affodable Housing and Community Land Trusts owned by LLP - This limits the assessments that can be made to improvements to real property that are used for affordable housing.
- Property appraisers must be elected.
- Tax Limitations On Local Government.
Why can't our Senate and House leaders develop a fair and equitable property tax plan for all Florida homeowners? Port Orange real estate & Daytona Beach condo taxes are too high and this tax plan is very disappointing.